Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Heart Is Not Here At All


My Heart Is Not Here At All
           
Solitude is defined as the state of being solitary or being alone. Loneliness, isolation and seclusion always come with this term.  It is very funny how a person whose got company all the time craves for solitude and solitary people wants to have some company. Many people had known solitude as lack of contact with people only, but there’s really more to it than that. People that usually look for solitude do it for them to meditate, to find peace and to be detached from every day’s tensions. But sometimes, even if we’re not looking for it, solitude finds us.
            In an Irish ballad, Slievenamon (Woman of the Mountain), it says, “Alone, all alone by the wave washed strand, all alone in a crowded hall. The hall it is gay, and the waves they are grand, but my heart is not here at all.” Although our surroundings is gay and we’re surrounded by a lot of people we often find ourselves alone, though we may not be standing on a mountain as the song implies. There are al lot of us who feel this way. Charly Chaplain, a devoted comedian had given one of saddest quotes ever: “I always like walking in the rain, so no one would see me crying.” I think though he’s a very much successful comedian, always around with people and making them happy he’s got his own problems and always able to pour out his feelings when he’s alone, in the rain.
            Those people who crave for company are those who are lonely. They always find themselves alone or out of place. I believed it is our sole responsibility to make them feel welcomed and belong. People might sometimes want to be solitary but not for a long time. As the saying goes: no man is an island. We need people to take care of us and love us.
As for me, I never did feel solitary without wanting it. I am always surrounded by people I loved and people I enjoyed being with. It’s always been like that for me. However, there are times when I want solitude just to burst out my feelings and find peace; to reflect on my life if I’m doing well and to ask for guidance to the Lord. Life is a big waste if it would be spent all by yourself.
           
 NOTE: My essay during Junior year, its obviously about 'Solitude'. This is in accordance to our lesson on Alexander Pope's 'Ode on Solitude' (see below). I've read the thing about the Slievenamon in a book by Nora Roberts. I'm among the top scorers in this one, and my teacher asked me to read it in class which is rare :)) 

But to sum up this essay with my life right now: "We occasionally find solitary moments in our lives and some moments too crowded for our taste, but the trick is to enjoy. Savor the moment alone, read a book with no disturbances, eat like a pig 'cause no one's watching and do everything you want (as long as its legal. hahaha). However, in moments when you are with people, enjoy talking to them, make connections and reconnect with old friends. Never lose a connection with someone.... Life should not be lived alone."

So, I don't know what made me say those words, haha. But they're there, just flowing from my mind to my fingers and down to the screen. Amazing, eh?

Anyway, Ode on Solitude's below. :))

Happy the man, whose wish and care
A few paternal acres bound,
Content to breathe his native air,
In his own ground.

Whose heards with milk, whose fields with bread,
Whose flocks supply him with attire,
Whose trees in summer yield him shade,
In winter fire.

Blest! who can unconcern'dly find
Hours, days, and years slide soft away,
In health of body, peace of mind,
Quiet by day,

Sound sleep by night; study and ease
Together mix'd; sweet recreation,
And innocence, which most does please,
With meditation.

Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
Thus unlamented let me dye;
Steal from the world, and not a stone
Tell where I lye

No comments:

Post a Comment