Thursday, September 22, 2011

Delirium

by Lauren Oliver

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn't understand that once love--the deliria--blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold.

Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she'll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. 

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: she falls in love. 

-------------------------------

Another novel in a Dystopian setting, I discovered this book at GoodReads.com and was encouraged by a friend (same friend who introduced Divergent to me). I was actually supposed to read this first but Divergent begged me first. Its been sitting in my folders for weeks and I guess I started reading it at a very unfortunate time which is the night before a very major exam in Trigonometry. Results are not out yet but I'm positive I've flunked it because my head is full of the described deliria above. 

Magdalena "Lena" Haloway, had accepted long before the fate that awaits her, even anticipates it. Her Aunt Carol is cured and so is her older sister Rachel, though there's a big issue about her mother's treatment. She always goes by the rules, in fear of being infected with the disease. She'd been promised of security, happiness and a painless life. She doesn't want to end up like the Invalids, and so she's been living her life perfect, bound by the new American law. 

However, Alex came in the story. He turned her whole world upside down, pretty much what Amor Deliria Nervosa does to most of us. He showed her the real wonders and happiness that life and love can bring. But that doesn't end there, being with Alex brought about doubts and secrets were revealed. And soon, they'll find themselves fighting for love, the thing Lena learned to despise throughout her life.

This is a very good read with a very intriguing plot. I admire Lauren Oliver's creativity in this one. Her ideas of the Laws and books made the society real. She even enumerated the disease's symptoms in detail. Her characters seemed to breathe out of the book itself and I can't help thinking about them all day long.

At first, one might say that this is a fight against what one once believed in. Otherwise a battle to dodge the laws restricting them to a wonderful thing called love. But in the end, I discovered that it's neither of the two. The question all along is how far will you go and how much will you risk for love?

Love nonexistent seemed to be unbearable for me and I assume for all. This novel made the perfect plot to make it otherwise. The vivid descriptions are good and the characters are complex unlike teen novels nowadays. The ending was quite a blast and during the few minutes of pondering the story, it was a disappointment. But then, thanks to Google, I discovered that it was actually a trilogy and I jumped for joy! I really thought that it's a stand-alone novel which would make the ending simply the end, though would still be great. But knowing that we're still up for more is really great. Altogether, I love this book and I seriously hope to love the sequels. 

I can't wait to see what happens to Pandemonium.Will love fail them? Or is it worth it? Because “Love: It will kill you and save you, both.”

No comments:

Post a Comment