Friday, September 9, 2011

Not The End


The ringing of the phone was always an annoying sound inside our house. Its loud and impatient sound had always made one of us scrambling to get it, dreading whoever  the caller is (if he or she is someone we wouldn't want to talk to). Though, at times, way back in high school, I would get all excited once the phone rings and I would always be volunteering to get it because it means an hour or so of usual girl talk with my friends. 

Just about an hour ago, the impatient ring of that phone rang inside our little house. I was in front of the laptop reading something from Wattpad and answered the ring. It was my uncle Eric and he's looking for my mom. My mom, apparently annoyed with my uncle for earlier petty reasons was hesitant at first to take the call but was soon talking intently to whoever took the phone from my uncle. I was engrossed with this particular story that I hadn't noticed the shift of mood of their conversation (though I can only one side of it). When my mom hung up, she told me a very grave news. 

My Uncle Boying died earlier this day at 6pm. It was a shock for me. I didn't expect his previous situation will lead to this. In my previous blog post, I recounted that I'm happy I've made the choice of visiting him instead of going to a birthday party. Indeed I am. At least, I've had a moment with him even just for a short time. He is my uncle that I've known all my life but I haven't known at all. I'm glad that I've been there to comfort him, holding his hands and sympathizing. During those times, I always believed that he could make it. He'd been through a lot already and I know he, and we all have undying faith in Him. 

I remember his words of thanks to the Lord while I was holding his hands. I know that death is a sad thing. We have to go through a lot of mourning and adjustments. But I know that he is with our Heavenly Father right now. We may have regrets -my father and sister, even my brother hadn't been there in his sickbed, and I know we are all sad to see him go but he will always be with us and even in the future. 

I want to quote something from an article by Elder Russell M. Nelson on Ensign May 1992 called 'Doors of Death'. (Read full article here.)

Death separates “the spirit and the body [which] are the soul of man.” (D&C 88:15.) That separation evokes pangs of sorrow and shock among those left behind. The hurt is real. Only its intensity varies. Some doors are heavier than others. The sense of tragedy may be related to age. Generally the younger the victim, the greater the grief. Yet even when the elderly or infirm have been afforded merciful relief, their loved ones are rarely ready to let go. The only length of life that seems to satisfy the longings of the human heart is life everlasting.

And that life everlasting is made possible.  I know, all of us had accepted this fact already. My Uncle had lived a great and full life here on earth with his family and all of us. The hurt is real but so is our faith. I know that God will comfort his loved one to help us through the grief and I know that soon we all can be reunited with our Father in Heaven. I'll always remember him as the one who holds my hand, giving comfort as he needs it as well as his unfailing faith.



No comments:

Post a Comment