Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Hunger Games



THE HUNGER GAMES

Directed by: Gary Ross
Starring :Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth

In a dystopian future, the totalitarian nation of Panem is divided between 12 districts and the Capitol. Each year two young representatives from each district are selected by lottery to participate in The Hunger Games. Part entertainment, part brutal retribution for a past rebellion, the televised games are broadcast throughout Panem. The 24 participants are forced to eliminate their competitors while the citizens of Panem are required to watch. When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives who have trained for this their whole lives. (Source: iMDb)


The first word I would use to describe the film is: "DIZZYING".  Indeed it was. The camera was wild especially during running scenes and stuff but nonetheless the movie is still "AWESOME" like Barney's kind of awesome.

I don't know why but I felt kind of bitter because I bet these filmmakers had learned so much from the past movie adaptations of renowned books on how are they going to do this thing. On how will they make people like it and that is by one simple thing: by sticking to the book's storyline.

And they did stick to the storyline. And that's what makes it amazing. I love how Jennifer Lawrence really brought out Katniss from the book. Very fierce. And her acting is really great. So are Josh Hutcherson (Peeta) and Liam Hemsworth (Gale). Haymitch and Effie are perfect for their role. Everything's so great and awesome. The movie might me dizzying but it kept everything in action and although my head almost split with the images on the screens the thing actually works. It was almost perfect.

Almost.

There are just some tiniest bit of disappointment. Topping the list was the scene when Peeta declared that he had a long time crush on Katniss. And what's everybody's expression?! "BLAAAAH" It was a huge blahh moment for me. I was actually looking forward for that scene. But what a huge blahhhh. Thankfully Katniss made up for that blahh moment when she cornered Peeta and demanded about that revelation. Her acting is really good.  So we might as well overlook that.

Another thing I hate was the long silences. When there were fighting, and during Katniss' lamentation on Rue's death. There's this mega huge silence thing. Sure, it might have worked for some scenes but it doesn't work for me. I want to feel those scenes and the silence doesn't do that for me.

Another blaaaah moment was Rue's death. The lullaby wasn't that emphasized. And it's not that remarkable. My friends and I were actually trying to remember the tune but it was blaaaaaah. So we haven't remembered it. 

Lastly, the last part on how Peeta's supposed to be hurt when he discovered it's a for show- the romance all for the show isn't there. I think if there's a scene that's gonna make me cry that would be it. But nothing. WAH. Hahaha. I was left hanging by Peeta's line "I don't want to forget"

Well, enough ranting. If only one could overlook those things, this movie is so great. I love the parts when they show the gamemasters on how are they doing the game and their expressions upon viewing the romance between the main characters. And I love how they show Gale's face! Haha. it was a majow "AWWWWW" moment for everyone inside the cinema. 

Oh, I almost forgot I've got another problem. Gale and Cato are two very handsome men. How could they kill that handsome Cato? And Gale! Gale's fase rise about the other District 12 guys. And Peeta too! *Sigh. Katniss is such a lucky girl. Haha!

Over all, it was a must watch! xx


No comments:

Post a Comment