Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Things You Do For Friends

Lately, I've been hearing a particular phrase from my friend whenever one of us (from our tight-knit group) had done even the slightest favor for another. . .
"the things you do for friends...." (*ahem, in a thoughtful voice)
Perhaps the comment was made to endear, but my usually musing self had been musing again about these terms. . . the things I do for my friends. . . What are they exactly?

But as I began making the list (mentally), I thought, "What's the point? The deed's been done." And besides, won't listing things that you do for one person start bringing you thoughts on how these friends of yours should reciprocate the efforts you've done, the measures you've seen, the time you've spent, the risks you've taken? It might be a bit harsh (to my friends) but I soon realized that perhaps that's why oftentimes there's this sort of virtual distance that I'm making between several of my friends and I. A distance, that I make myself. It is, perhaps, I am waiting for them to reciprocate, which, in the logic of ethics and the vows of friendship, says it should not be done...

So, never expect. Just give.

Honestly, I don't even think I'm making any sense right now. ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment